driver stepper tb6600 v1.2

hello,how to connect 3 stepper drivers tb6600 v1.2 on my arduino uno to use with grbl for control my cnc
the drivers that i want to connect is the same as the picture

Image from Original Post so we don’t have to download it. See this Image Guide

13d61008ab98820dcf05a53f782d048db74a6dc6.jpg

…R

You need to connect the Pulse, and Direction connections to the appropriate Arduino pins that GRBL expects them to be connected to.

You can probably connect the Enable either to 5v or GND (rather than an I/O pin) so that the device is permanently enabled.

You will also need Arduino GND connected to the tb6600 GND.

...R

Looking closer at the image of the driver, it seems that you won't need (even it could be "dangerous"/destroying) to connect the GND's.

Apparently the driver comes with common anode control as the inputs are: -EN, -STP and -DIR together with +5V. The optocouplers might be hidden under the big heat sink. For testing you can leave -EN open which will keep the driver always activated.

See more details here: http://diyprojects.eu/wiring-and-running-tb6600-stepper-driver-with-arduino/

Robin2:

Really? Isn’t it an opto-isolated interface, hence the +5V for the common-anodes of the opto-couplers?

MarkT: Really? Isn't it an opto-isolated interface, hence the +5V for the common-anodes of the opto-couplers?

Apologies for my ignorance.

I have not seen that system before. I presume, then, that the Arduino pulls the Step of Dirn pin LOW in order to activate it.

...R

so according with the grbl i will have to connect only the step and dir and 5v on arduino like so? x axis

step->digital pin 2 of arduino dir -> digital pin 5 of arduino

y axis

step -> pin 3 dir -> pin 6

z azis

step -> pin 4 dir -> pin 7 and the pin marked with 5v from all drivers connect to 5v on arduino...?

Yes, that looks fine. You might leave -EN open (= driver always enabled) for the time being.

After successful tests you can connect Arduino pin8 with -EN. Mightbe that - if it doesn't work as expected after having connected pin8 with -EN - you have to invert the ENABLE signal. AFAIK this has to be done in the configuration of GRBL with one of its commands (have a look at the list of commands available for GRBL).

one dummy question…do i have to power the arduino with power supply or the usb is just fine…sorry but is the first time working with arduino…10x

Powering the Arduino only is fine with just a USB cable, which will also be used for transmitting the g-code from PC/laptop to the Arduino grbl firmware.

But: the stepper motors MUST be powered by an external power supply! Otherwise you will destroy your Arduino which is not capable to drive those motors directly (due to the current limitations per pin).

thank you...i will try these today if have any spare time and post the result...for driving the motor i will use a 24v 10amp power supply...i have the cnc running on mach3 with a parallel breakout board...i want to connect to arduino because i have a cheap windows 8.1 tablet and want to use that as a main computer for driving my cnc...the mach3 only running on old windows xp computer and want to make room on my small bench for something else insted this old big computer