Which Standoff Insulators for Arduino & Peripherals?

I'm going to be mounting a larger Arduino and several Arduino peripheral modules, all on standoff's, to a fiberglass (FR4) breadboard circuit board... maybe 5x9 inches in size or larger.

I'm thinking nylon standoff's for a number 4 screw. And a height of .25 to .5 inches.

The Question: Which standoff's do you suggest? And where can I buy them?

• Some come threaded female on one end and threaded male on the other... but none of these seem to come with the screw and nut to fasten the two items together.

• Some come simply as a nylon "tube" with which you can, I guess,
    drop in a # 4 screw and use a #4 nut below the PCB to hold the two items together.

Please share your suggestions.

Thanks.

My brother showed me a trick of using short lengths of automotive rubber windshield washer hose as standoff. Get the size with the Inside Diameter to snugly your screws. Provides a bit of shock mount, too.

2 Likes

Hello fran_3

Visit a local Makers Shop and have a few spacers printed to your requirements on a 3D printer.

Maybe https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-nylon-standoff.html

I guess

nylon standoff's for a number 4 screw. And a height of .25 to .5 inches.

Since that's what you want... :sunglasses:

I recently sourced similar parts on AliExpress, all the nuts and screws were available as well, and assortment kits too.

I avoid the maker shop I was going to before, the management wouldn't cut wire for me as they did for years before that, as a standard customer service. The wire was still in the same place, nobody else was in the store and the sales person was only surfing the internet. Now I would only go in desperation.

However I use metric hardware for almost everything...

I use a lot of 6-32 nylon stand-offs 1/2 to 1” in length.

4-40 will work too.

I moved to (standardized) M2 brass stand-offs in the last two years.

These are readily available and reasonably priced.

They can be purchased from 3mm to 40mm in 1 mm increments.

See this very long thread for Stand-Off ideas:

A lot of arduino modules won't accept a #4 screw. Which irritates me because I have hundreds of #4 screws and spacers.

When this happens, I use #2 screws. Most of the screw holes I find seem to be sized for metric hardware smaller than M3, but I don't have a good supply of those yet. Most of my fastener hardware is from drawers at a machine shop auction that I got dirt cheap.

Is why my latest board has M3 mounting holes...

4-40s: I tap the substrate 4-40, insert a flathead llen screw from the bottom, put a nylon 4-40 nut on that, and use a nylon standoff as a tall nut that works with my kielbasa fingers as a hold down nut

ESPs have 2mm or 2.5 mm holes. I use brass standoffs, moth male - female and female - female, screws and nuts for those, because nylon threads are frail and ragged in this range.

Those tiny holes bother me. They really limit your options, unless you have access to a cornucopia of parts. Also many designers don't make the effort to make sure the holes don't have component clearances around them.

behold the lilygo T Beam dimensions: note the mounting holes.

what kind of sadistic twit uses dimensions like 27.1 X 95.1 mm? what do you use to measure that?

i have standoffs, mounts, feet, cable shrouds, etc. avaliable as free 3D printer .STL files over on cults3d.com

11 standoffs used on the two cards

When I get a module that won't take #4, I 3D print a bracket that will.

3 Likes

ICYMI - For nylon standoffs they make. . . nylon screws.

Nice, but I'm a 3d printer "holdout". I don't even really have a place to put one at this point. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I checked my micrometer, it has a 0.1mm subscale. But not a 0.01mm scale. I agree, one does wonder what led to those dimensions. At first, I thought aha, imperial to metric conversion but I ran the numbers and they still didn't make sense.

They're small. They fit on a folding TV table. And for under $300 USD you NEED one!

27.71mm = 1.1" standard .1 grid converted to 2 place decimal mm's.
95.10mm = 3.8"

Drives. Me. Crazy!!!

1.1in = 27.94mm